Is the debt of the hotel and catering industry still growing? It started with a pandemic

Luc Williams

In publication KRD it was indicated that according to the data Central Economic Information Center from 2020 to the end of 2023, due to COVID-19 pandemicand as a result, 159 enterprises announced bankruptcy and 391 enterprises announced restructuring the hotel and catering sector. It was added that those that are still operating today are also struggling with the problem of maintaining profitability due to rising operating costs, salaries, utilities and rents.

The chapter called COVID-19 cannot be closed yet

“An example of the industry HoReCa (hotel and catering industry – PAP) shows that the chapter called the pandemic cannot be closed yet. Just before its outbreak, this market was growing dynamically by 7%. y/y. After 2021, the market value decreased by 30%, and 200,000 people left the industry. people. However, during the pandemic, the main problem for companies was lockdowns and restrictionsthat limited their functioning, today they are mainly: high inflation, expensive loans and rising business costs. These are the main reasons why companies still cannot get out of debt,” he commented Adam Łąckipresident of the National Debt Register of the Economic Information Office, quoted in the report.

According to the data of the National Debt Register, the debt of the HoReCa industry amounts to over PLN 352 million. Most of this amount, 84%, falls on… gastronomy (restaurants, cafes, pubs, catering companies, etc.). The rest, i.e. 16 percent, are debts accommodation facilities (hotels, hostels, guesthouses). The average debt of one company is PLN 26,000. zloty.

Is the introduction of a single VAT rate for catering services a solution to problems?

The information indicates that the sector is counting on an immediate improvement in its financial situation. The authors of the analysis reported that the industry expects the introduction of a uniform 5% VAT rate for catering services and proposes that it come into force from July 1 this year. Another financial injection, which this time is intended to put the companies most affected by the pandemic back on their feet, is support SMEs from funds KPO among others for the HoReCa industry. Currently operating enterprises that have experienced a decline in turnover in 2020-2021 of at least 20% will be able to apply for them. calculated year to year.

Experts emphasized that the majority of the debts of the HoReCa industry – PLN 295 million – are owed to companies conducting business related to food. According to information from intelligence agencies Dun&Bradstreet Poland 93.4 thousand companies may operate on the Polish market. catering points. Of 13.6 thousand HoReCa debtors 11.9 thousand are such institutions. This means that every eighth restaurant is entered in the KRD.

The situation with hotels is slightly better

It was noted that the situation was better in companies conducting business related to accommodation. Indebted hotels and accommodation places is in the register 1733. Their total debt is PLN 57.3 million.

“From ours payment credibility analysiswhich we subjected all companies operating in this industry, shows that only about 80 percent can be treated as credible,” said Łącki. In his opinion, “the rest should be approached with caution, and 10 percent are companies with such a low level of credibility that issuing invoices with deferred payment dates are very risky.

Łącki added that it is disturbing that over the last 12 months the percentage of companies that deserved the highest credibility has decreased and those that should be treated with great caution have increased. “However, these indicators in catering are worse than in accommodation,” noted Łącki.

The amount of trade credit is several times lower than average

KRD experts emphasize that it is reliable the amount of the merchant limit, i.e. the recommended value of sales with deferred payment for enterprises in a given industry is almost PLN 17,000 for sole proprietorships in the case of gastronomy. PLN, and in the case of accommodation PLN 18.2 thousand. zloty. However, in the case of commercial law companies – 89.6 thousand, respectively. PLN and 165.4 thousand zloty.

KRD Economic Information Office is a platform for the exchange of economic information – it collects data on the financial situation of consumers and companies. (PAP)


Luc's expertise lies in assisting students from a myriad of disciplines to refine and enhance their thesis work with clarity and impact. His methodical approach and the knack for simplifying complex information make him an invaluable ally for any thesis writer.